Wednesday, May 15, 2013

When it comes to makeup....ALWAYS ask the sales associate for help!

I decided to write this post after having a conversation with a good friend of mine.  I used to feel the same way too actually, so I decided to share.  If you are "new" to makeup and have questions or want to try new products, go to a department store/Sephora/Ulta and ask for help!! I know getting into makeup can be daunting, but at the end of the day these people are PAID to help you! Accordingly, you're more than welcome to stop in, ask questions, get product recommendations and SAMPLES of foundations to work with.  

Some stores are better than others, and of course you get better service on certain days/certain times when the sales person/makeup artist has more time to spend with you.  So I'd recommend avoiding weekends at least.  Also, Nordstrom and Saks are very helpful, but don't feel compelled to purchase because your sales person may be pushy.  Ask questions, get samples, go home and try them out for a few days.  You may get a sample and get home only to realize that in the light the color is too light or too dark, or that you just don't like the "type" of foundation (too streaky, too cakey, not enough coverage, too much coverage, etc).  No one expects you to waste hundreds of dollars on foundation and not be pleased.  Sephora, Nordstom, and Saks all offer samples, so do not hesitate to ask for one.  

If you're not initially comfortable with "bothering" a sales person, then I'd recommend doing some online research and having in mind certain types of foundations you would like to try.  Then, you could just go into the store and strictly ask for a sample of that product in a shade that looks to you to be best for your skin.  Either way, feel comfortable and explore different brands and colors, until you find your fit.  

I know that for me personally, matching my foundation has become the world's hardest task.  Kinda like calculus.  For years MAC's NC 42 was perfect for me.  All of a sudden over the past year its too light and too yellow.  So then I began the task of foundation hunting.  I currently use Lancome, which works best for me, but I'm still not going to call it my "go to perfect best foundation ever".  So in the meantime I've got a bunch of samples that I'm trying out over time, to see if I find one that performs well and lives up to my expectations.  You should do the same!

I know it gets expensive and depressing buying a foundation (especially a high end one) that matched in the store, or that you were 'pressured' into buying...and then to get home and have it not work or not match your skin tone is super annoying.  That's why I recommend never purchasing a foundation on the day you go to look at it or get matched up.  Just try the sample and if you get home and like it, then consider going back to purchase. 

Matter of fact, I went to Sephora today and got two samples of Tarte's BB cream, because I hear good things about it.  Unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to mix shades since neither really worked for my skin.  Sigh.  

If you're looking for a person who is super informed about makeup I'd recommend going to a department store.  In my experience, personally, I've found they have done better jobs of color match ups for me than the employees at Sephora, and tend to spend more time with you.  But again, to each his own.  And i'm not sure if Ulta does samples or not, but either way, I haven't found their staff to be uber helpful.  Just my opinion.

I'm going to attach  a pic to this post in a few minutes so you guys can see the "sample" stash I've acquired over the past few months.  FYI out of all these samples, there are two that I'm still 'considering'. The rest were not close at all. 

I also view getting samples as being less wasteful as well. Sephora and Nordstrom both have great return policies. Even if you use the item, if you're not satisfied you can still return it. Personally, I'd much rather get a sample than waste a whole jar even if they refund my money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment