Monday, May 13, 2013

Master Cleanse aka Lemonade Diet

**Just a note: these are my thoughts on the cleanse and its history, etc, so do your research and inform yourself should you actually be interested in the cleanse .**

The Master Cleanse is an age old "cleanse" that was developed by Stanley Burroughs in the 1950s.  It has been around for some time now, and has been used by people worldwide, for cleansing, detoxing, or weight loss.  There are just as many advocates as there are antagonists.  The original purpose of the diet is to cleanse the body of toxins and old fecal matter during which time a person's health may improve or whatnot.  As a side effect, many individuals lose weight, whether it be a small amount or a great deal, during their time on the cleanse.  In theory, anytime you are only drinking liquids and not consuming food you are super likely to lose weight.  Some consider the cleanse controversial and misused by people only seeking to lose weight.  

Essentially while on the cleanse you consume 6-12 glasses of the 'spicy lemonade', as well as do a salt water flush in the morning, and a laxative tea at night.  The salt flush and tea are meant to cleanse your intestines.  The lemonade is supposed to provide your body with all the nutrients you need.  You are not to consume any other food or drink while on the cleanse, except filtered water.  You can google the 'recipe' online, or find it in the original Master Cleanse book.
  
The plus: detoxification, improved energy, mental clarity, weight loss.

The negative: weight loss is temporary, skin likely to be flabby, may decrease metabolism, lack of energy, easily fatigued. 

I'm only going into a little background because I am going to California in two and a half weeks and I'm so scared of the seatbelt not fastening/being kicked off the plane/forced to buy an extra ticket due to being overweight.  Its been a fear of mine of late and before I even realized it, California has crept up upon me.  So now that its so close away I could diet and exercise and lose a couple pounds the correct way, but instead I'm going to do the lemonade cleanse.  I'm aware of the effects, downsides, etc.  And I'm aware that its not permanent but for me the need to lose the extra ___ pounds so that I'm not frightened at the thought of flying there is more important for me.  So i'm going to post daily for each day I do the cleanse and post how I feel.

I expect that I will be consuming about 6-8 glasses of the lemonade, not 6-12.  If you're trying for added weight loss and not just detoxification, 6-8 glasses is more ideal as you'll be consuming less calories.  For the laxative tea I picked up Smooth Move from my local Whole Foods.

Tomorrow will be my first day, so I'm all prepared with my ingredients and I will have my tea tonight.  I'll keep you guys posted :) Wish me luck :)

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully your lemonade diet transition has been a breeze. Remember, it's advised to drink extra purified water on the lemonade diet, as well... especially when you are drinking the minimum requirement of lemonade which is 6 glasses.


    http://www.TheLemonadeSite.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for the tip, and I am trying my best to drink the extra water. I find that I'm wanting cold water with ice. So far everything I've reviewed states that the lemonade should be made with room temperature to warm water, but is there anything wrong with drinking cold water (not with the lemonade, but on its own)?

      Thanks,
      Keiyoko

      Delete