Sunday, May 5, 2013

Drug Store Lipsticks...Hit and Miss

HIT: Maybelline Vivids

I wasn't looking for these lippies.  I was at my Rite Aid picking up a prescription and walked past them.  They were buy one get one 50% off, so I decided it was worth the try.  I only picked up two colors (which I now regret!) 875 Vivid Rose (bright coraly pink) and 900 Hot Plum (bright purple).   The color payoff on these lippies is amazing!! Nice and bright, definitely vivid color.  And it didn't take more than one application to get the color. I'm totally picking up more of these colors to try.  These lippies also have some staying power, which is hard to find in drugstore cosmetic brands.  I would give these a 4.75/5. 

The only downfall (which will take some getting used to) is the smell.  These have a perfume-y flowery smell that I can't describe.  It's not particularly pleasing, and I'm not sure if it is a complete turnoff for me or not.  I'll update if I find it unbearable.













MISS: Revlon Lip Butters

I saw these on an endcap at Target and since so many people in the makeup world were raving about them, I decided to try a couple out.  The packaging is very pretty and there are a wide range of colors in this brand. I picked up three shades: 095 Creme Brulee (pretty nude/brownish color), 005 Sugar Frosting (sparkly nude), and 025 Peach Parfait (peachy pinky shimmery color).  I'm not sure if it's because I picked light colors or not, but these lippies had very very little color payoff.  They're mostly sheer and on my lips, barely detectable.  That's not a problem if you like a sheer lipstick, and I don't mind them either.  I knew they were sheer and "buttery" as advertised, but I'm still left wanting more after trying these out.  I think I'm going to pick up a couple more (darker, brighter) colors and see what the color payoff is like.  As far as "buttery", I didn't find these lippies to be particularly moisturizing.  In fact, they are slightly sticky and streaky in application, even for sheer color.  The scent, however, is pleasant.  They also didn't wear very long on me. I feel like lip gloss is a better option than the lip butters. But this is all just my opinion.  I would give these lippies a 3/5. 

See pictures below (for the lip butters I only swatched on my hand as there was little color payoff, lip swatches weren't necessary and the swatches on my hand had at least five to seven coats of lipstick).  



No comments:

Post a Comment