Friday, June 7, 2013

REVIEW: Too Faced Review: Eye Shadow Palette

I've debated about doing this review for a week now, only because I never used the eyeshadows for an entire day.  Specifically, after using the "looks" created with the palette I never wore them out of the house.  I picked this up during Sephora's VIB event, so it was 15% off retail price (which is $48).  You can check the deets out here.  I walked past this palette but my friend directed my attention to the gorgeous purple shades and upon swatching, I fell in love.  I really really really really wanted to love this palette, but I just couldn't.  After much debating, I returned it to Sephora instead.  There are pics below (no swatches unfortunately) and the palette itself is gorgeous.  It comes in a wonderful case with a nice mirror, and also comes with a free FULL SIZE Too Faced Eyeliner (which was surprisingly great, comparable to Urban Decay) and a mini sample size of the Eye Shadow Primer Potion (which is equally good as well).  What's also tempting about this palette is that it comes with three card inserts, that have "day and night" eyeshadow looks with instructions for you to follow as well.  That's a bonus for newbies needing help blending the colors. It is a nice palette thru and thru, with the exception of the eyeshadows themselves.  

I guess I was so enthralled with the palette that I failed to realize that each and every shade was a glitter shade.  There were no matte shades at all, and while this isn't necessarily a deal breaker, the quality of the shades and the fall out were.  The shadows applied poorly IN MY OPINION and the only thing they left behind was glitter and streaky color.  I even tried using wet, but I just could not get past the amount of glitter.  Each shade had glitter, even the highlight.  I'm not a fan of an entire eye of glitter, especially when that eye of glitter runs down your cheeks and nose.  No bueno.  So I could not get with this palette.  If I had to grade it, I'd probably put it at a C/C-.  It would be less if it didn't come with the eyeliner and the primer.  I regret not swatching it, but that's how sad I was about the color performance.

I also swatched some samples of the Urban Decay Eyeliner and the Too Faced eyeliner together, so you guys could see.  It is def a contender for me, because it applied creamy, evenly, nice and black with no tugging on the eyelid. But...if it ain't broke don't fix it. So I'll be sticking with my Urban Decay.





No comments:

Post a Comment